Sunday 18 January 2015

Inspiration

One of the things I am really enjoying about being in Juba is meeting so many amazing, fascinating people from all over the world, who have come to South Sudan to bring aid.

I have never lived anywhere like Juba before, where UN vehicles, Medicins Sans Frontieres, Red Cross. Tearfund, Oxfam, WaterAid and many other charitable or relief-based organisations have such a visible presence. It is not just the signs around town which indicate various NGO compounds. It is also the vehicles with the names of their organisations emblazoned on the side. I see the names of so many of these relief organisations as their trucks and vans flash past on the busy Juba roads, or when their vehicles park outside the shops and restaurants.
Their staff are the people we meet in connection with MAF, or in cafes in town, at church or in the queues when we go to the airport. Juba is a centre-point for so many aid agencies!

I have had my eyes opened as I have talked to people and learned first hand about their work in this country. I have heard amazing stories from brave people who have gone into risk-filled areas to bring aid or share their medical skills and compassion and faith. It is both interesting and encouraging to know that so many people are out there, working hard to help others in this harsh landscape.  Despite all the horrible things that happen in war-torn places, it is good to know that there are also plenty of people working to combat the after-effects, the poverty, the sickness, the suffering.

Last week, Andrew flew a plane with one such person on board: Baroness Cox was one of his passengers.



With her team from her charity HART, she was travelling between several destinations in South Sudan. I was excited to learn who Andrew had on board his plane that day! I looked up her charity's website: www.hart-uk.org/
I am so inspired. What amazing work they are doing in so many trouble spots around the world. It was so informative to read about it online. If we were not here in South Sudan, I probably would not have discovered so much about this work. I would not have learnt about the plight of people who need to have their voices heard and who receive this help from HART. That would be to my loss, not to know about the incredible work of these inspiring and brave people.

Although I did not meet this particular passenger myself, I did ask Andrew to tell Baroness Cox that I respect her work when he met her on her next MAF flight. And who knows, I might just take up her kind offer to call when we get to London and pop into the House of Lords for a cup of tea...!! :-)

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like it would be a surreal sort of afternoon ... tea with Baroness Cox sharing stories of experiences in South Sudan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to read of so many dedicated people. I looked up HART too, inspiring, and I can hardly believe Baroness Cox is even older than me �� love nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Baronness Cox. I have a book by her (Cox's book of modern martyrs) and she's helped the organisation Christian Solidarity Worldwide, who campaign for persecuted Christians by lobbying governments, UN etc. Lot of admiration for her. Ace that Andrew was able to take such a distinguished passenger. But while you and Andrew are not so famous, your work is equally valuable! Keep it up. Love Ste and family

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments on our blog- it is fun to hear from you! :-)

Still in East Africa!

 It seems as though Google takes down a blog website if it is not active for a certain period of time. I can no longer find the almost 5 yea...