Saturday 9 May 2015

Jogging in Juba

Just a quick blog post to provide proof of our early morning jogging in Juba!


Since February, I have been 2 or three times a week, at 06:40, when it is first light, for a short and not-very-fast jog around the streets of Juba. We avoid the litter and the stray dogs and ignore the taunts from local teenagers, who find it very amusing to see foreigners running around their city so early in the morning! There are several other groups of runners, some local, some Kenyan, some Ethiopian, some American, speeding around the streets, much faster than I can go! Some are wearing sporting gear and looking very serious. I admire these very fit runners!  Most of them friendly as they acknowledge the solidarity of the early-morning jogging crew.
My running companions vary, depending who is around. We don't mind the 06:40 start, as daily life in Africa starts early. plus it is the coolest part of the day and therefore a pleasant temperature.
We have to be back by 7am, when Andrew leaves for work, so it is never a long run, but just enough to run off any stress-related energy. And great for justifying a biscuit or two with my cuppa, as I feel like I've actually done a bit of exercise!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. Keep it up. You can run with Rachel here. She is always threatening to get even me a pair of running shoes ! ! ! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great effort! Wish I could get back into running regularly - definitely a good way to start the day. Tim

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments on our blog- it is fun to hear from you! :-)

Still in East Africa!

 It seems as though Google takes down a blog website if it is not active for a certain period of time. I can no longer find the almost 5 yea...