Thursday 7 January 2016

And into 2016...

We welcomed this new year in at the fabulous "Renew" Brackenhurst conference, in Kenya.

As we set off on December 28th, from Juba to Kenya, our children climbed aboard a plane for their 10th international flight (and 14th actual flight) of 2015. MAF kids in Juba end up being very familiar with aeroplane travel!

We all enjoyed the conference- especially the children!











Beautiful Brackenhurst: our Kenyan conference venue:



Getting back to Juba on January 1st was a bump back into reality when we were woken at 02:30 by the sound of shooting. It was a rude awakening in the darkness of the very first night of 2016!

Two nights later, I was again woken, this time in the hour before dawn, by the sound of two shots being fired, then a couple of shots returned. Heart pounding, I waited. Thankfully, no more shots were fired- but no more sleep came to me either!

On Tuesday this week I took the children for our first swim of 2016 at a local hotel.
On the walk back home with my children, I got distracted watching a convoy zip past in their dark green jeeps. As I was watching the armed vehicles, an English lady overtook me, walking on my right, on the side of the traffic. I smiled at her- and she greeted me. She asked if I worked in Juba with Samaritan's Purse, so I told her we were in South Sudan with MAF. Her smile broadened and she replied that she greatly admired MAF and had flown with MAF in South Sudan last year.

At once, I realised who this lady was- it was Baroness Cox! She had flown with Andrew earlier in 2015 (see blog post last year!).  I told her that Andrew had enjoyed meeting her when he flew her and that we greatly respected her work with HART.
She shook hands with me and then each of the children, Then I had to turn off the street towards the MAF compound, as she continued walking down the road. What a pleasant and unexpected meeting on the streets of Juba, to launch us into 2016!

3 comments:

  1. Seems life in with MAF in Juba can be a life of contrasts eg from gunshots to meeting dedicated people like Baroness Cox. Love the children's face painting and young horse riders. So glad you had the opportunity to recharge your batteries in a lovely spot like Brackenhurst. Love nana xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing meeting, I read her book year ago and have admired her work. The conference looked good, as always. The children looked like have a good time, hope Mum & Dad did to. Happy New Year to you all, love and prayer, A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year to you all - although it sounds new year was a bit scary. We pray you are kept safe. We have been watching a cartoon version of the Jim Elliot story over the weekend - an MAF email reminded us it is the 60th anniversary this weekend of what was effectively the start of MAF and reminds us how valuable your work is. Love from Ste Jenny Daniel Sam and Matthew

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments on our blog- it is fun to hear from you! :-)

Still in East Africa!

 It seems as though Google takes down a blog website if it is not active for a certain period of time. I can no longer find the almost 5 yea...