Monday 27 February 2017

Liz Set Loose on the Roads of Kampala!

Inevitably, I have to blog about the driving each time I move between African capital cities... it is vastly more interesting than driving in the UK... and more nerve-wrecking!

Despite Kampala's status as a capital city, here are some of the roads I am bouncing along in our 8-seater Prado:


These roads are extremely narrow. Meeting another vehicle coming the other way is testing my mental capacity of spatial awareness and stretching my ability to work out how far each vehicle needs to reverse or manoeuvre in order for us to pass each other without colliding!

There are many paved roads too-  some of them in a deplorable condition. The road I drive to school each day has some fantastic pot-holes, particularly the hole on the left of the road in this photo:

In the city centre, roads are paved but congestion can be a challenge. The one aspect we notice about traffic in Kampala is the sheer volume of motorbikes. Motorbikes, motorbikes everywhere: zipping and zooming in and out of the traffic, unpredictable and a law unto themselves- they may pass you on the left, or the right, stop suddenly in front of you or trail you closely behind. There's no knowing what they will do next. I've never driven anywhere with so many motorbikes! I find that I have to stay extra focused and alert. 

Maybe it's a good job that the CD player is broken in the car, as I do not have any music to distract me from driving in these early days as I adjust to Kampala!

Many of the motorbikes (or "boda-bodas") are used as taxis to transport people all over the city. They are a popular form of transport, which means they are prolific. For a small fare, you can hail a boda-boda and ask the driver to take you to your destination, hop on the back and be off to your desired place quicker than the cars and mini-bus taxis, which obviously cannot zip between the traffic the way a motorbike can. They provide a cheap- and riskier- ride across Kampala! You can even hail a bike and climb on with your friend- or your entire family- sometimes we see Mum, Dad and up to 3 children on a bike!





At the traffic lights, there will always be a huge group of motorbike riders impatiently waiting at the front of the line before the lights change to green. Well, that is, those who bother to wait for the lights to change, rather than the many who just take a chance and drive off at any time!


In addition to the motorbikes, there are barrow-pushers and bicycles galore which can pose an extra hazard. 

Few roads actually have pavements running next to the road, so it is paramount that I keep an eye out for pedestrians where they are walking on the road.

Finally, we have the white-uniformed traffic police who keep us on our toes... and there's always the risk that they may be wanting a bribe. My heart sinks when they want to pull the vehicle over. You never know how the conversation may go! They often stand on the road directing traffic or watch at the side of the road for any driving offences which they can fine drivers for. They are not above hopping onto the back of a passing boda-boda to hitch a lift between vantage points- like this lady on the right, waiting in front of us in the traffic queue last week:

 

All in all, driving in Kampala is proving to be an interesting experience- and one which I feel better prepared for after my initiation into the chaotic driving in Nairobi! I'm so thankful that I had Nairobi as the stepping stone before Kampala. Now I find that in comparison, Kampala drivers are more polite- some of them even let me into traffic when there is congestion! Unheard of in Nairobi! I can't help smiling as I wave at those lovely drivers who actually make way for other divers- what a refreshing boost for my confidence as I learn to drive in yet another African capital city!

1 comment:

  1. Well done! and I thought I was clever driving rom Maghull to Scarisbrick xxxx does Andrew use a motor bike in Kampala?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments on our blog- it is fun to hear from you! :-)

Still in East Africa!

 It seems as though Google takes down a blog website if it is not active for a certain period of time. I can no longer find the almost 5 yea...