Friday 30 June 2017

Graduation Time

It's been a little quiet on this blog recently- but that's because life has been anything but quiet here in Kampala, since our children broke up for their long "summer" holidays on the amazingly early date of June 1st! Now the house is filled with the zipping energy and explosive sound of children from dawn until dusk! Finding time to do a blog post has been more challenging!!

Before the end of term I had a taste of American school culture as I attended three different graduation ceremonies: an event which we usually only mark in England at the end of University. In contrast, the American school system marks the moving of pupils between grades with more regularity.
It was fun to participate in the graduation ceremonies!

Joel's Graduation

First of all, I enjoyed every minute of Joel's Graduation from Kindergarten, prior to his move up to Grade 1 in August. The mini-graduates were the cutest graduates I have ever seen, complete with their gowns and mortar boards!

They sang a few songs for us. The "aahhh" factor among the many parents in attendance was strongly felt!


After a creative role-play performed by the Heritage School Kindergarten Class of 2016/17, each child received a certificate to celebrate their achievements this academic year. Then it was time for cake- and what a cake!!!

I made sure I snapped the side which had Joel's name emblazoned on one of the decorative pencils!

Along with this spectacular cake, there were speeches to thank the Kindergarten teacher, displays of dancing from the pupils and the charismatic Master of Ceremonies, thanksgiving prayers and then snacks for all under the shade of a large, white and beautifully decorated marquee, where we sat at chairs adorned with ribbons. 

Finally, parents and teachers were invited to join in with the music, so we joined the graduates for a fun dance around the school field to the rhythm of "Waka Waka, Africa"- the children's dance speciality! I tried my best to get the moves right, but maybe my age was showing, because I was not as flexible as our 6 year old counterparts!



Esther's Graduation

One week later, I was back at school to mark the significant occasion of Esther completing Primary School (or "elementary" school as they call it here!) and moving to Secondary School.

This was a lower-key affair, but it was great to have it marked in her class-room with her teacher and class-mates. Since several of her class-mates are moving on to Secondary School elsewhere, it was a special time for the class to all be together and celebrate their time as Grade 5 (equivalent of UK Year 6). 

Each student received a certificate for their hard work. Esther received the "Best Artist" award, presented by her class-teacher:

Some of the children read out work they had completed during their last term. Esther was invited to stand and read a poem she had written entitled, "Where I'm From" - always an interesting topic for a child like Esther who has grown up living her 11 years of life in six different countries...


Esther reads out her poem:

Where I'm From

I am from toys, from Playmobile
and lego. I am from the tin
slide in the hot sun and the
warm solarium at the end of
the garden.
I am from the climbing tree
that wilted in the heat, 
 the cool green grass
that sparkled in the summer sun.


I am from family devotions every night,
and teachers, from Elizabeth and Andrew,
and Parker.
I am from the Stunning Singers
and the Adventure Climbers. 
From "Finish your food!" 
and "Close your mouth when you eat!"
I am from
Jesus loves me,
And he saved my life on the cross.

I'm from England, warm fresh bread
and hot, soothing tea.
From the arm my brother broke
when he fell off the swing,
the knee my cousin skinned running
to the ice-ream van.

I am from the wall of family
photos, beginning before I was
born. Capturing wonderful moments.
Of my family.

by Esther Parker


Esther's Grade 5 class- final celebration of Primary School!


High School Graduation

A week after this, I had the honour of attending a High School Graduation for the daughter of a lovely friend here in Kampala. This was a wonderfully formal affair (as a true Brit, I love these kind of occasions!!) with inspiring speeches and the presentation of end of school certificates. I really enjoyed being part of such a special celebration, marking the new start which these high school graduates are about to embark on.

I also felt that I had been given a chance to gain insight into what will be just a few short years away for Esther... since I find that time flies and our children grow up so quickly!

Flags were flown in recognition of the different countries represented by the students who were graduating. Among those giving speeches were the Headteacher:

And a very confident speaker, the Head Girl:

The head of the school board also spoke, with the graduates seated on the right of the photo:

After all the fun and grandeur, after all of the proud and poignant moments of graduation, it was time for the school holidays to begin... and there is plenty to blog about, but these postings will have to wait until another lull in the manic activity of school holidays!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments on our blog- it is fun to hear from you! :-)

Still in East Africa!

 It seems as though Google takes down a blog website if it is not active for a certain period of time. I can no longer find the almost 5 yea...