Thursday 21 August 2014

Shopping Trip

I spent 446 pounds today on our food shopping.

Here is the list of goods I bought:

6 apples- 15 pounds
2 oranges- 6 pounds
8 bananas- 10 pounds

Then there was the visit to the meat shop, situated near to the airport, where meat is imported directly from Kenya and sold a little bit cheaper than elsewhere in Juba. This was a chance to stock up our freezer for the months ahead.

I spent...

4 small chickens (each chicken weighs 1.1 kg)- 100 pounds
a bag of minced beef (1kg)- 45 pounds
2 fillets of Nile perch fish- 50 pounds
4 kg sausages- 140 pounds
500 grams of cheddar cheese- 35 pounds
2 boerwors sausages - 45 pounds.

To be fair, the pounds I refer to are South Sudanese pounds! The exchange rate to a British pound is about 5 South Sudanese pounds to 1 British pound; this makes my total shopping bill around about £90. This still feels like a fairly large sum of money for the food I bought. I can't help wondering what I would pay at Sainsburys or Tescos for the same amount of food?

I feel like there are 3 things I will have to adapt to in Juba as I shop for our family of 5:
- dealing in the high figures and wads of notes which are required when spending South Sudanese pounds
- gritting my teeth and paying higher prices for foods than I would expect to pay on Kenya, Tanzania or England
- learning how to weigh up the guilt I feel when paying for food with vast amounts of South Sudanese bank notes when I am painfully aware of the poverty around me for the average person I meet behind the shop counter, in the food queue and in the street; and acutely aware of the looks cast on us as we pay our huge food bills. I have to balance this with the need to feed my family with foods that I know are good for them and healthy for my children's growth. It's a very difficult situation.

Today, we are off to visit a soap centre where ladies make soap and sell it, as a way to provide for their families. It is always so much easier to visit these places as a foreigner, when you know that spending money directly benefits the seller. Being a foreigner in Juba, with our foreign eating habits and expensive diet is much harder on my conscience during the average food-shopping trip.

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing how prices can be so high ... I guess the cost of transport if they are imported and then the factors of supply and demand. By the way ... nice family photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The photo is courtesy of a famous international photographer, currently based in NYC...!!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments on our blog- it is fun to hear from you! :-)

Still in East Africa!

 It seems as though Google takes down a blog website if it is not active for a certain period of time. I can no longer find the almost 5 yea...