Saturday 16 April 2016

Food for Thought

Here are a few random food-related photos from the past week or so in Juba...

Ants, ants everywhere!

Since the hot season began in earnest, around the end of January. a colony of tiny little ants have moved into my kitchen.
They are the same colour as my work surface and hard to detect. It is irritating, as they get into everything. For a while, I moved the sugar bowl into the fridge because the sugar was a magnet for these ants.
When I went to make bread the other day, I was annoyed to find them in the margarine:

I scooped out as many as I could, but I am sure the crunchy particles in our bread were the left-overs!!
The ants also love to climb into our kettle and swim around. Since we drink cup-loads of tea in our house, it is fortunate that we are not too fussy about ants in our tea!

Veggie Tales

I did an experiment the other day and decided to order broccoli from the market, for the first time. I had heard a rumour that someone could source broccoli...

Since we have never had broccoli in Juba, I texted an order to the market stall holder who helpfully brings fruit and vegetables to the compound for us. I was looking forward to having a change from the carrots and courgettes which are regulars at the Juba market.

This was my broccoli:

It was more expensive than other vegetables and I could not glean a single floret of broccoli from the multitude of leaves and thick stems! That is one item I won't bother to order again...

On the other hand, I ordered a kilo of sweet potatoes last Saturday- and the generous size of this one potato fulfilled the entire order!

This sweet potato was absolutely delicious, mashed with butter, milk, salt, pepper, a hint of cinnamon and a tea-spoon of (hopefully) ant-free sugar!

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments on our blog- it is fun to hear from you! :-)

Still in East Africa!

 It seems as though Google takes down a blog website if it is not active for a certain period of time. I can no longer find the almost 5 yea...